Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

15 January 2006

Beer. When I started drinking beer, I really didn't like the way it tasted. I'm not sure that I actually enjoyed drinking beer until I was about 25 or 26. Until then it was just this nasty carbonated beverage that I drank with my friends and never really enjoyed. I first recall enjoying beer on the normal friday night jaunt to Barclay's after climbing. Thinking back on it now, I'm not sure if I enjoyed the beer so much as the company and perhaps that's why I began to enjoy it, but now I enjoy drinking it for the taste. Never having enjoyed the taste of Bud, or Miller, or any of those other mass produced beers, I always tried to drink something different. I started with Guiness. Claiming to enjoy, I spent many nights at Sketch's apartment in Berkeley toasting the dark, mysterious drink. Over time I began to enjoy brown ales, perhaps most notably Newcastle Brown (on a side note, my favorite footballer plays here, Alan Shearer), but more recently I have been turned on to Belgian Ales. I first tried one upon returning from Nepal in 2004, primarily because of Stijn. I wanted to pay hommage to such a great friend by consuming the beverage that his country is most know for. Now this post is not just some ramble on my consumption of beer. It has a more serious point. I don't consider myself a consumer of alcohol. If fact, when asked, I have many friends who would say that I don't drink that often. However, I have recently thought about my consumption of beverages. Take this past week for example. Monday night I drank two glasses of '97 BV George D' Latour, Thursday I drank half a bottle of wine, Friday I had an Imperial pint of beer, Saturday I had half a 22oz bottle of Bison Brewing Belgian Ale, today I drank another whole bottle of this beer and finished the other half. Is this to much? I don't ever feel drunk, well, on Thursday night I did. I workout regularly so it doesn't take much to get me tipsy, but for someone who doesn't consider themselves to be a drinker, that's more than I thought I would be drinking in a week. Of course, it's all a matter of perspective. For many months I will only have a pint of beer a week after climbing on Fridays, then I guess I hit a spell like this. Somewhere it must balance out to me being labeled an *occasional* drinker.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Seppo said…

    HOLY CRAP! THE BLOG LIVES!!!!!

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Either you're a lush who needs to join a program, or you're about to turn 30 (oops, you just did). I vote for the latter.

    Happy birthday!

    - Al Wick

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I think that's what most of us who drink are: occassional drinkers. We drink on certain social triggers (live music for me, post-climbing for you). We drink for the enjoyment of the beverage when it's of high quality. Weeks and weeks can go by with no alcohol, then a week like you described will happen. Seems pretty normal to me.

    I've never heard of the "exericse often = low alcohol tolerance" theory though. I've only heard the "if you drink frequently and consistently your body will produce more alcohol metabolizing enzymes and your tolerance will go up" one, called Metabolic Tolerance.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Joseph said…

    I think that "exercise often" train of thought is more a function of low body fat and an inability to absorb the beverage. I can, however, attest to the ability of the body to adapt to large scale consumption. Ah, Munchen and your beer gardens!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home