Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

07 September 2004

It's it strange how the mind compresses time. When you are not feeling well, time takes forever to pass, on the other hand when times are good, there seems to be enough of it. I am in that place of there not being enough of it. Just over a week left here, well really, only a week. Can't count the day that I leave. And time seems as though it has taken a rocket ride, the days seem to fly by. I don't know if I mentioned before, but when I got to Kobenhaven, I wanted time to slow down, not accelerate. I am having such a wonderful time with Mikkel and his family.
The past few days I have laid in bed thinking about all that I have done on this adventure. I vividly recall my arrival in Kathmandu, all the sights, sounds, smells. My first taxi ride, first meal, first time using a squat toilet (and all that goes with that). For me recalling the first time that I really felt at home in Nepal is a memory that will never escape. The feeling of total contentment. That was when I got back from Pokhara, a week after I got out of the hospital, and at the complete opposite end of feelings I felt when I left Kathmandu. Right before I went to Pokhara, I wanted to go home, to end the trip. I hadn't slept well for four days, I had lost close to 5kg, hadn't had a "normal" bowel movement in quite some time, life was hell. But I remained, knowing that all the physical pain would pass, that in the end staying was the best option. And it was. Upon arriving back in Kathmandu from Pokhara the taxi drivers were playing extortionists, 500r for a taxi ride to Balaju. I negociated a resonable rate, and hopped in. Sitting in the back of the cab, on a bench seat with all the springs poking into my ass, I relaxed. As the taxi driver dodged animals, Tatas, tuk-tuks, cycylists, I took a deep breathe of the smog infested air, I was at home.
Now, here I am in Kobenhaven, a week away from actually going home. What will it be like? Obviously I am not the same person, but how will people react to that? In what ways will the change manifest it's self? I guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home