Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

30 April 2004

After blowing off the steam earlier this week, things are settling a bit. It only took 6 weeks. I'm continuing to test the patience, but it'll be good in the long run. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Sometimes it works, sometimes, well, I'm an adult right? I had tea with another volunteer yesterday, she just started her teaching assignment. LOTS of questions. Basically you come over here with this IDEA of how YOU"RE GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Survey says: WRONG. You can make a small difference, but to radically change the way that people think in the course of, for her 4wks or myself 3 months, it just doesn't happen. You can begin to crack the surface of how they think, perhaps slightly alter the thought pattern, but not a drastic change. And if you were to alter that thought pattern, you could hurt the child's chances in the future because the whole system is set up for the kids to think in one way and one way only. She was shocked to hear that I teach the LwrKG and SrKG classes. Apparently none of the other volunteers has kids younger than class 2. Yea me. The thing for me is that in those classes I feel that I have the most potential to break the normal thought pattern. They are younger and it is not as ingrained. I chisel away.
In other minor news, I have found a place that sells CHOCOLATE CROSSAINTS. They aren't the best in the world (Bread Garden by the Claremont Hotel has that title), but they work in a pinch. I only have them two or three days a week, anymore and I would get on a plane and go home. I have also come to the conclusion that the Atkins diet would fail here miserably. Rice and potatoes are in EVERY meal. Despite this, I have lost weight.
Tomorrow, or likely while you all are out on Friday night, I'll be in Kirtipur visiting a few friends. Haven't been there yet. It's about 8k south of Kathmandu, and only 40minutes on the bus. I may ride the cycle. Anything to get out of Kathmandu. The weather has actually been rather nice lately. Smog still isn't great, but the days are a bit clearer. I have seen the Himalayas everyday this past week. They call my name. I have already left my foot print on this country. Perhaps next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home