Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

22 April 2004

The past 24 hours have brought about a DRASTIC change in the order of things that one needs to be concerned about while living in Nepal. Let us briefly review the current top Three candidates:
3) THE MAOIST INNSURECTION. Before leaving the states, this was the primary concern. They have been busy, but mostly in the outlying areas. Beni rasied their stock in the concern department just prior to the trip to Pokhara. Things have not been quiet since then, but as they operate mostly in the coutryside, I don't spend a lot of time shaking in my boots about them.
2) THE POLITICAL DEMONSTRATIONS. For the past three weeks, this has been at number due to the everyday occurance and the fact that I ride by a college EVERYDAY. In fact they were burning tyres this morning as I rode by. I was thanked by several people, smiling meekly I got back on my cycle, because I had other things to worry about..........
1) RANDOM LEOPARD ATTACKS. That's right folks, in your very own neighborhood, five minutes before you ride you cycle by, 10 minutes from the center of a city of 1m, a leopard decides to enter a house, sniff the kids, startle the parents, maul an army man and get shot. I, fat, dumb and happy, ride on by, BLISSfully unaware of the situation. I find out later that night watching the news. Lovely. Just lovely.
Editors note: number 1 did happen, but the author wishes it to be known that the writing is purely sarcastic. SO RELAX. Oh, and the website for Nepali Times is: http://www.nepalitimes.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home