Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

29 March 2004

Sorry, sorry. Life has been happening, so I've been a bit behind on the blog. This was a great weekend. On friday after school I went to meet Nima for a little field trip. I had dinner with him and the other fellas who work at the guest house, I think that the men in this country cook better than the women. Fantastic meal. Saturday morning we took off to catch a bus at around 8am. The bus ride was a unique experience. Careening around blind corners at 45k, barely missing the other buses, 50 people on the bus, and the barnyard animals. No joke, there were at least three chickens and a goat on the bus. I wonder if they had to buy tickets. We arrived at our destination of Daksinkali in about 45 minutes. This is where they sacrifice animals to the gods. The atmosphere was one of reverence, not blood lust.
I enjoyed watching the different dress that people had on. The mulitcolored clothing is wonderful, and you can tell where they come from by their dress. Well, Nima could, I couldn't. After watching this for about an hour, one grows, what? A little tired of watching animals without heads being carted by. I thought of the chickens and goat on the bus, wondered if they were still here. In a way, the animals were dying a good death. They were being sacrificed to bring a greater good to the family they came from, to cure some illness, some malady, or just to continue the prosperity that a family was having.
From there, we walked to Guru Rimpoches cave about 2.5k away. The walk was beautiful, as we passed through acres of crops. The cave it's self was more of a cut into the hillside that was slightly covered, but the fact that the man spend hours here everyday meditating was humbling. We continued up the staircase until it became a dirt path to the top of a hillside. Atop this hill was the highest density of prayer flags that I have seen in Nepal. TOO MANY. We rested for a bit, I chased a large bee around for 20minutes trying despirately to get pictures for Alex Burke. Nima was spotting for me. It was ture adventure. On a micro scale. I felt like the crocodile hunter. BUt not really. More like this guy who had to many cameras, and thought that made him a photographer.
Descending from the hillside, Nima led the way to Shesh Narayan Temple. This is a beautiful Temple set at the base of a cliff. At the base of the hill leading up to the temple are a few small ponds, and statues to various gods. I particularly liked the semi-submerged statue. Our adventure then turned uphill. 3k to Hatiban on a hillside over looking the entire valley. The view, while beautiful, only served to remind one of just how much smog was in the city its self. We had a soda, and headed downhill. The plan was to wait by the side of the road for a bus, this is how it's done. We sat on the side of the road waiting, a taxi drove by, stops. I am the taxi magnet. I can have my cycle with me, I still get asked if I need a taxi. He asks, I say no. Nima asks him how much to New Road. He say 200, Nima says 100. Okay, get in. It would have cost us 60r on the bus, so this wasn't bad. We head back to his house for a little dinner with his family. All 20 of them. It was like Christmas dinner, but every night.
Yesterday I went with one of the kids from the house next door, her father and brother on a little trip to a place called Osho. The four of us fit on ONE motorcycle. And there was one helmet to go around. It is always nice to get out of the valley, the pervasive amount of smog kills me.
I'll be out of touch for about a week, as today I go trekking for 7 days, I get back on 5 April, and if all goes well, I'm off to Pokara till the 10th. But when I get back, I'll have lots of pictures. LOTS.
I keep getting asked about shipping things here. That's fine, just know that I have to haul it if it can't be used.
Joe Trimble
C/O Rajesh Shrestra
GPO Box 11535
Kathmandu Nepal
Take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home