Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

12 March 2004

Sorry for the delay in posting, the internet cafe was without connection yesterday. I went for a long walk yesterday, about 4miles. It was quite nice. In my sandals. Seems this is the normal mode of transportation. Surprisingly it was rather comfortable. I walked up toward the trailhead for Nagajun (went hiking there a few weeks back). Very relaxing. I needed to get out of the house. I spend all day at school with the family, then I live with them. They are going to a wedding today. I'm thinking that I don't want to go. I need at least some time to myself. (Sorry ma and pop, this is the memories that come to mind). It's like living with my parents after I had graduated from HS and was working at the store. The relationship is likely to get strained in some way. We'll see. If I get a bike, I'm free.
Other random observations: The "military": They are all over the city, but there seems to little order to them. The weapons don't match in any sense. I have seen Enfields (british WWII era bolt action rifle), submachine guns w/ mags mounted on the side (another british WWII relic), the odd M16, and M14 knock off. In addition, when they ride in the back their trucks these barrels are pointing out, and I keep wondering when someone on the street is going to get shot. When I have seen them on patrol in the streets, they do some shopping, their weapons are in one hand and no one appears to pay attention to the surroundings.
Juto. Ritual infection. This applies to food and drink. When you serve food at the begining of the meal, the utincil can touch the plate, however once eating has started, you cannot touch the plate. The same appies to water, but this is a little different. Most people drink from one water jug, but the jug never comes into contact with the lips. I find myself drinking this way. Not so much because I share water, just because that is what I keep seeing people do. That is all from Kathmandu. Thanks for the suggestions Michelle!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home