Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

28 February 2004

So I just finished practice teaching. It was pretty fun. One of the classes I just observed, the other three I taught. Twice the teacher just left without telling me. That was really nice of them. I didn't even know what subject I was teaching. I winged it. I can BS with the best of them. Mostly they were question and answer sessions. The class wanted to know where I was from, how old I was, why wasn't I married ( for some reason I keep getting this question), but it seems that the main question was "What caste are you?". In Nepal, as in India, they have a caste system. There are four castes, from the untouchables, but to Brahman. The concept of a lack of a caste system seems to puzzle them, just at the existance of one seems to puzzle me. I have a hard time conveying the idea of everyone being equal to the students. For the most part I really enjoyed myself. Yesterday morning I chatted with most of the fam, they were at Keith's house for his B-day. It was really great. After that Yogesh and I rode bikes to Patan to retake some pictures (he dumped ALL the pictures on my digital camera. Long story, well not that long, but boring enough not to put up.). It was a great day for it, the clearest thus far in my visit. After Patan I was meeting a friend of Rajesh's (program director, not my bai) at Mike's Breakfast for a chat. Quite an interesting experience. He brought an American friend that lived in Nepal full time from 1982-1996, and now spends 4-6 months a year here and the rest in Oregon. He is extremely knowledgeable on the politics of Nepal, the history and religion. We discussed the current situation, how it developed, where it was likely headed and what would be best for the Nepali people. We discussed the maoist, their occupation of the country side, and it's effect on the population, economy of Kathmandu. He likened it to Pol Pot in Cambodia, however, I don't feel the situations are as similar as he implied. The moaist are not murdering people by the thousands. They seem to limiting their conflict to the military, they do seem to be exercising control over the towns by not "allowing" them to sell alcohol. All in all a wonderful afternoon.
On Friday afternoon we went to Boudanath, which is the largest Stupa in Nepal and one of the largest in the world. A most impressive sight. Again, traveling in a clock wise fashion around the stupa, showing the right side. The main dome sits atop three large squares of decresing size and is approxamately 80 ft accross and 40 ft high. Atop the dome is a square about 12 ft accross, peering from each side are eyes that represent the all seeing Budha. Above the eyes, from each side, rise 13 steps, each representing one step closer to Nirvana, the goal of Bhuddists. Then, strung from the top are thousands of prayer flags of different colors. Literally a sea of them.
I have learned a new term to use when people are trying to sell me things of the street. Pardina. Man parcha means I like, man pardina, I don't like. Pardina means, not needing. A handy term.
"Sir, you like mandala?" Mandala-a Bhudist geometric shape that comes in a vision
"Pardina."
"Ramro, ramro madala." Good, good mandala
"Ekdam ramro, ma pardina" Excellent mandala, I don't need.
Or something to that affect. I feel like anyone who comes to Nepal should know that term.
Alex, the good stuff in Kathmandu can be done in a week...............and I know a great place to stay for $5 a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home