Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

20 February 2004

Yesterday was a great day. I didn't have class, neither did Yogesh and Maamaa wasn't working, so we decided to go to Thamel and try to find an adaptor for my camera, so's I can charge the battery. We located the charger after about two hours of wandering. I was pretty stoked about that. On the way to Thamel we took a taxi and on the way home, the bus. Riding the bus was fun. There were more people on the bus than on A/C transit Transbay bus at 8am. And this bus was only 1/3 the size. The taxi to Thamel cost 70 rupee and the bus 6. I would take the bus if I knew where they friggen went. [ a note on costs (i'm hoping to include one of these little sections twice or three times a week): everything here is cheap. As an example, I called Claire for 13:15. It cost me 150 rupee. Just over 2 bucks. It would have cost her just over 13bucks. I bought the boys lunch at fire and ice, 500 rupee for two pizzas. Water is 15 rupee a liter. Something like 20cents.] Last night the boys and I had a conversation about the States. They wanted to know how much does this cost, what about that? Isn't it easy to find a job? The family is trying to emigrate to the states. I told them that, yes, you do make more money, no things are not THAT cheap. Shirts are not 2bucks, Levi's cost $50. Rent is alot, cars are alot. People change their clothes everyday. Bathe daily. I think that perhaps the hardest things to understand are those that I can't explain (like the $20 burrito). I get the sense that the family wants help coming to the US, but I don't really know in what capacity. Anyone with time, could you please find out what the D.V. (?) lottery is? That's all for today. Perhaps more tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home