Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

27 February 2004

Sorry for the delay in posting, there just wasn't much to say from Wednesday and yesterday I was just a bit tired to post. There has a been a bandh going on so the plan for yesterday was left open: either Nepali class or Bhaktapur. I was most definately pulling for Bhaktapur. And that's where we ending up going. BUT first there was a minor detour to the summit of Nagarkot. Nagarkot is a mountain that has turned into a resort town for one reason: it's view of the Himalaya. Of which there was none. Damn haze. The 30k ride to the summit took an hour on a small motorbike that needs new shocks. With two people on it. The scenery was, however was stunning. On the lower part of the mountain there was mustard fields for acres and acres. As we progressed up the mountain there were fields of 'taters and wheat. At about 5000 ft. we passed through a forested region that reminded me of the Sierras (alex/keith-the road condition was as windy and bad as the one to mineral king.). The trees were not as dense, but I just got that sense. I'm suddenly not in the mood to write. Reading email and blogging is not reccomended if you get news you don't expect nor want to get. Getting news of people's passing makes me feel quite out of touch. On the one hand it's a little of what I wanted, however, it doesn't make the living of it any easier. It makes me appreciate being there a bit more than perhaps I had in the past. Bhaktapur was really quite beautiful. It is the ancient capital of Nepal. Founded in the 12th century. Several large temples, again around a central square. Pottery and woodcarving (ma-the masks you got us likely came from here) is the main industry in the town.
So, I've been asked several questions by several people in emails and on the comment section, I'll try and answer a few of them now:
The family breakdown:
Baa (father)-Kumar-38
Aamaa (mother)-Lal 38
Maamaa (uncle)-Nabim 17
Bai (younger bro)- Yogesh 16
Rajeah 14
I exchnage rupees at either a bank or at one of the many money exchnage places around town. I'm still working on the orgional $150 (10500rupees). I've spent about half.
I'm only drinking bottled or boiled water from any number of companies. Pabst Blue Ribbon is no longer available as water, but Ma, there is still a beer out there by that name (in the states)
I have my own bedroom, it's a requirement of the program. If there were another student, then we would share the room.
The wheather has been rather pleasant. About 60f in my room in the morning, a little cooler outside. Gets up to about mid 70's at midday, not much warmer. As this is spring time, it will get a little warmer as time progressees.
I meet up with the program director about 6 days a week. 3-4 of those we have Nepali class, and the other two days are cultural tours. Bhaktapur, Patan, Nagarjun, Kathmandu, etc. I start teaching in about 9 days. I meet the school principal next week.
In early April I go trekking for 6 days, then to Chitwan National Park for two and white water rafting for one. I'm not sure that I want to go rafting after seeing the rivers in Kathmandu. There is a term used by plummer called "gray water", that means comtaminated. In the states it's with feces and other toliet matter, in Nepal, I don't want to know what it is.
That's it for now. Hope that helps some out a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home