Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

24 February 2004

What's been going on here.........Yesterday I went to not one but two Nepali weddings (thanks for the words of wisdom steve-0!!). I never saw the groom at either wedding, funny that. At the first there was a "priest", a bride, a painting on the ground, a few offerings to the ancestors and NO groom. People just of milled about and then suddenly we were off to another weddding. OH, I rode a bike in with Maamaa. See notes on traffic. CRAZY. We rode like madmen to the second wedding. What the rush was, I have yet to figure out. I sat around with Baa and Aamaa for about an hour, then we went and watched people give the bride gifts, then sat for another hour. Then food. After I finished Baa told me how to get home in broken english. I walked away having really no idea where to go. I went left because Maamaa told me that in that direction was Bastiputali, the neighborhood where I stayed the first night in Nepal. I have been trying to locate it so I could say hello to Nima the manager. I was able to locate it after about 30mins of wandering. Now as many of you know I LOVE BEING LOST. I'm not sure how memory works, but it seemed to be functioning, as I recalled vaguely street signs. I chatted with Nima for a bit, and the french couple as well, I hope to see them in Nice this coming summer. Apparently they spend SIX MONTHS a year traveling, 3 in Nepal, and 3 in India. Quite nice people. Today I had a bit of an upset stomach, I'm not sure why, but it's better now. And this afternoon I'm off to Patan, which a bit south of Kathmandu. Lots of Stupas and Temples. [beds-what a joke. they are really just thick blankets. I've taken to using the blanket from the other bed as an added padding, and my therm-a-rest. It's better, but not great, my back kills in the morning. and the bed is exactly 5'11". I sleep at an angle. I love this place!!!] Really, I do. The people are so nice. When I was "not" lost yesterday, people that I asked directions from were really helpful. It was really wonderful. On the other hand because I am white, I have sucker stamped on my forehead or I'd buy that for more than twice what it's worth. I'm getting used to pricing, so if you have requests, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home