Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

10 March 2004

So the teaching continues. I wouldn't say that I'm comfortable with it yet, however all the suggestions that I'm recieving have been helpful. Lick, I know that I was never force fed like these kids are. They answer in unison, they mimic, however, I don't know if they really "learn" the material. Apparently the questions they are given in class are literally the same ones that they have on the exams. VERBATIM. This is not learning, this chipping into stone and wrote memorization. The children are nice, and I try to break the mold, but I get concerned that if I do, I may hamper their future.
On the family front, things are okay at best. On monday there was a bandh, so I went back to Dhapasi to see the first host family. It was a 5k walk, but it gave me time to reflect on the differences. The new family is nice, but I just don't have anyone to talk to. The parents are in their mid fourties, and the closest child to my age is 11. In the old family their were two 17y/o and a 14y/o. When I was over there, the bond between us was quite apparent. Hard, hard. I spend alot of time reading (tearing through the Iiliad-great book) and plying BBC world for some interesting news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home