Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

07 March 2004

Wet and colorfull. The two words to sum up Holi Day. Breakfast was early, then we prepared ingredients for Mo mo's, which are Nepali potstickers. Yogesh had brought home about 30 packs of those cheap ass water ballons, but he and his friends are far more skilled at filling them than I. And thus commenced a three hour water fight. The kids from accross the street joined in with the ones from next door. But I had back up. Yogesh, Rajesh, Maamaa and some of thier friends. And INK. Powder. Red, blue, orange, pink. Lots of it. We assaulted the roof top, I with my bucket and the boys with the ballons, funny they let me run up the stairs first, and get doused. Gallons of water were used. When we ran out of water in our bucket, I would rush them with the bucket and wait for them to throw thier water and catch it in my backet. Then douse them or steal their bucket. I ended up with red and blue dye in my hair, on my arms, legs, face, I had always wondered what I would look like with red hair, now I know. My hair is to dark to be able to tell what color you put in it.
After the water fight, I took a wash, and slowly began to pack my stuff, as this was also the day that I was moving. It was actually rather hard to move. I didn't realize how attached I had grown to the family that I was staying with. Apparently Nepali's arn't that much into goodbye's which, for me, is rather difficult. I walked from my house to Rajesh's house with a heavy heart. I didn't want to go, I would have rather stayed with them while I was doing the volunteering phase. But this is the set up. I was met by the new host father at Rajesh's place. And we drove to his place. Wow, he cannot drive (i would later find out why). SO the old set up was like this: small two story house. Three bed rooms downstairs and a bathroom. Upstairs, a kitchen,and a storage room. The new set up? I live with the Rana's. Two sons, Ayuse and the other I don't know. He doesn't live at home. They are also having two students from their school staying with them as those students parents are living in Japan for two years. The house: 3 story. On the first floor is my room and an entertaining room, that is the size of my parents living room, sun room and dining room. There are a few other rooms on this floor, but I don't know what they contain. Second floor: two "normal" size bedrooms, the TV room, and the master bedroom:HUGE. The third floor is the kitchen and the dining room, and a large balcony. On top of the kitchen is another balcony. I'd rather be in Dhapasi. I really would. The Rana's were on of the family's that used to run Nepal. They were essentailly knocked out of power when democracy came into being. I listened to the father complain about the democracy for an hour last night, and not wanting to piss him off, didn't voice my opinions of representation. Then today was my first day of teaching. There doesn't seem to be much order to how things are done. There is no lesson given to me. Go in that room and teach. Huh? What subject are they studying? Yes, you teach. What? What topic? Okay, go teach. Yeah, that's wonderful. Thanks. I answered alot of questions today, but that can only last so long. Appparently they are going to fire the english teacher and guess who gets to do that? Oh, that would be the guy from the states. Huh? This is going to be entertaining. We shall see what we shall see. This coutry is very focused on through put, and forced feeding it's students, that I'm sorry, I don't think that I'm cut out for that. The next three months are going to be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home