Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

15 March 2004

Let us review the past two days. Right now at school is their versions of finals. This must be some national joke. The students blantently cheat. They ask one another the answers, ask me, look at all the posters on the wall, etc. What is really funny is that the questions on the tests are verbatim of what is in their text books. I really don't understand. The concept of "why" things are the way they are does not occur to these children. On saturday I went back to Dhapasi to see the old fam. Lovely people. We played futbol for two hours, barefoot. My feet are slowly turning into leather. Maamaa is going back home for three weeks, so he loaned me his cycle. FREEDOM is being had. I rode to school today, got lost, still made it in time. It's funny how not knowing this place at all, I can still find my way around. I found the guest house where I spent the first night and chatted with Nima for about an hour. We made plans to see his village in early April. And next saturday we are going to a Hindu shrine Dakshinkali, I love this part, check it out at: www.dakshinkali.org Apparently on saturday's and tuesdays they slaughter animals to the gods. Then a big party ensues. [ Killing of animals-this is a regular occurance roadside in Kathmandu. I saw a goat head sitting on the side of road in the "lap" of the goat, it took me a second to go "huh?" then see the the neck. It had been done about 30 seconds before I had walked by. The same goat was there four days later, still being pieced apart.]. I'm really looking foward to getting out of Kathmandu. I understand that the weather has been rather nice in the BA lately, all I have to say is YOU BASTARDS!! It rained for about three hours today, conveniently while I was riding my cycle home it was heaviest. [cycles- seppo they are not $10. They are more like $40, while not a princely sum, one I will hold off on paying while I have the loaner. This is for a steel frame seven speed with brakes that wouldn't stop you while going uphill. I'm fixing the breaks on maamaa's cycle today when I get home.] There really isn't to much to more to say, except that I have a new found respect for teachers. Especially those in a)bilingual schools, b) teaching very young children c)teaching children who just won't listen, which really means all kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home