Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

14 May 2004

Wow is it hot here. It's been running in the high 80's to early 90's. With 70-90% humidity. And we all know how I love the heat. I've been riding to school in shorts and a t-shirt for over a month, but the past week I've been sweating on that ride. At 8am. I've been getting asked questions about the family lately, the one that I live with. I would have to say that thier idea of hospitality is certainly not what I am used to. In my family (Trimble), if you come to our house, anything that you need, we make an effort to get. If we have family over, you are part of the family. In this family this is not the case. They had a family dinner and I was essentially told to just stay downstairs and watch TV. Last week on Buddha Jayanti, the mother told me that they had a family prayer on Monday night so it would be nice if I could stay at a friends house until Tuesday evening. That was nice. They have also taken to eating next door at the wife's mother's house. I feel like I belong. It didn't really bother me until I was talking with the other volunteers and hearing how some of their famlies are towards them. Oh well.
Tonight a bunch of the volunteers are getting together for a nice night on the town. Dinner a few bars. None of us have had much to drink so it's light weight night. The bars have "Crazy Hour" which is three hours and two for one. "Houston, we have a problem..........."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home