Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

17 June 2004

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention my last dives in Phi Phi. The first one was to 18m for about 45min. The visibility was quite nice, maybe 15m. Some nice fan coral, good marine life. When we surfaced there was a bit of a swell going on, nothing like the previous day, but I still wasn't having fun. Then I got to watch one of the other clients lose his breakfast over the side of the boat. Backflips for my stomach. Next dive was to 16m for about 50mins, the visibility was not nearly as good, but still amazing. Saw a Crown of Thorns, very dangerous. When we came up the swell was still on, and it was lunch time, for everyone but me. I sat on the stern of the boat staring at the island, hoping that it would stabilize. For some reason, it didn't. Paul, my dive master, was really understanding, so we would be getting ready before we got to the dive sight in order to hit the water straight away. On the last dive, I told him that I wanted to be first in the water and last on the boat. No problem, we only dove to 14m so our air would last longer. Pretty good vis on this dive, just over 10m. I loved rolling over on my back and just looking up into the "sky". The water was so peaceful, watching the reef fish school over head. Everytime you breath of exhale that twitch just slightly, so there was this magic moment in between those periods when the water was undisturbed and they would just swim, twitch, swim, twitch. You're not supposed to, but once in awhile I would hold my breath just slightly to see them swim nomally. Pure peace. We puddled along the bottom over this small coral mount when I was confronted with something that has frightened me for years. I love the water, swimming, FRESH water boating, whatever, but if I can't see the bottom of it, it scares the shite out of me. I began to get over this two years ago when I went to Hawaii and Darren took me surfing. Very peaceful. My fear is semi-rational, but not backed up by the chances of a shark attack, so coming over a coral mount and seeing a 2m leopard shark, well that was it. Paul pointed it out, calmly just resting on the bottom, we deflated our BCD's to get as low as possible. As I settled onto the bottom about 3m away, an eye opened, blinked and the tail flicked, gone. The experience last about 15sec, but I will never forget watching that creature, in it's environment. About 10mins later, we surfaced, and oh yea, more chop. Still not as bad as the day prior, but still not great. We motored into shore and unloaded the gear. Washed up and that was diving in Thailand. I plan on doing some in Turkey and maybe Morocco if I can find any there. I'm going to at least get a snorkel and fins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home