Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

26 May 2004

An couple interesting experiences yesterday. I went into Thamel to, hopefully, finish up my last bit of shopping. Parked my bike in the usual location, just before the main streets and walked in. My destination was a shop that Natalie and I had gone to a few days back so that she could get a purse. What we got was an education on Pashmina and silk carpets. The owner, knowing full well that neither of us was buying those things, spent an hour talking with us about them. It was alot of fun. Needless to say, I thought more about it, and went back to see him to get an item. Honesty pays. We ended up chatting for over two hours about all sorts of things. His life in the Kashmir, how he came to Nepal, my family, his family, business, honesty in business. It was really great. I ended up buying the item that I came in for, didn't even have to haggle over the price, he knocked 40%, and I wasn't complaining. It was just nice to chat with someone for that long and really learn about them.
The other fun experience was when I went to pick up my bike. I walk up to it, and this gentlemen approaches me, pulls a wad of bills out of his hand, and says "Parking charge." HUH? "Parking charge." No thanks. I've parked here for three month and never been asked for a parking charge. Nice try though. He smiled sheepishly and walked off. I was mildly entertained. The vast difference between those two experiences is just like Nepal. You have people who genuinely want to get to know you, then you have people who are only after your money and will do what it takes to get it. I smiled at the ingenuity of the guy who was after my money, it reminded me of a friend's experience in Pittsburg losing $20 to someone over a "parking charge". My lesson would have been cheaper, but knowing that I didn't have to learn it was better. Pays to be a local.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home