Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

15 June 2004

Bangkok-
Well I'm back in Bangkok for a few days. I went and got measured for a suit, tux and jakcet today. $500 for all. This includes shirts, coats, cumberbun, vest, blah, blah. All Kashmir wool. VERY NICE. Black on the tux (duh!), grey on the suit (thanks Kate!!) and a different shade on the winter coat.
Took the ferry from Phi Phi to Krabi yesterday, then the bus to Surat Thani, then the train to Bangkok (12:30hrs-ughh). Got in at 5:15 this morning, had breakfast, found a hotel (w/ aircon-it's bloody hot here), then saw the royal palace and Wat Pho. The royal palace was less than grand, the only really neat part was seeing the emerald Buddha. Quite beautiful, but you can't get closer than 15m away. Wat Pho on the other hand was nothing less than stunning. The pictures that I took just won't do it justice. It is reclining Buddha that measures 15m long (50FT!!!). The head is the size of a mini van. It's also known as the "Golden Buddha" due to it's golden colour. HOWEVER it is NOT gold or bronze, it is a clay that appears to be golden. Strange.
A few things that have really thrown me for a loop since coming here. In Nepal you are dealing with not only the Hindu culture, but a culture that is still in the process of intergrating "western culture" and all of it's idealogies. Bangkok on the other hand, is WAY passed this stage. While I was eating breakfast at 6:15 this morning, the american I met on the train was getting hit on by a Thai girl. She went so far as to come over to our table to talk with us. We were both entirely to tired to deal with this. The culture is so different from the one that I came from that I am having a hard time dealing with it. The price thing isn't to bad, it's not as cheap as Nepal, but I still get thrown for a loop by the prices. I'm going to try and get pictures up by tomorrow. Take care all.vv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home