Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

31 October 2006

wOOT wOOt!1

It's Halloween. I love this holiday. My brother's and I used to haunt the house, our goal to scare the crap out of any kid who was brave enough to wander by. We did a pretty good job. We used to decorate the whole front yard, ghosts, tombstones, coffin, skeletons, us dressed in masks and field jackets. Fun times.
Went to Loker's house for the annual party. Good times. Went with A as Mork and Mindy. Got the whole rainbow suspenders, pulled my pants up to my bell button (that hurts after awhile). Left a little early which I had hoped not to do, but f, I was tired. Working six days is rough. I just don't enough done on my day off and so I don't really feel rested.
What else? Been listening to the new U2/Green Day track "the saints are coming".

I really like the last part. Not as seen on TV. Sad but true. I do appreciate how the song portrays the military as the "saints". Sure I'm not for the war, but I wouldn't protest the military. Those guys are just doing their jobs, and certainly not getting paid enough for it. Seppo showed me this recently:


hehe. I like the way that Cheney and Rove turn into ugly animals. I wish someone would shoot them in the face. Next week we in the US get to make a choice about the direction of our country for the next two years. It may be a referendum on Bush and his policies regarding the war in Iraq and Republicans. Ideally politicans would be honest, and as the Baz Lurhman song implies, when I get older I might think they were. But not this current batch. Not these creatins. I hope are taken to task for the things they have done to us. They have paved the streets with our civil liberties, our freedom of the press, and then let corporate America drive their SUV's all over them.
In Cali we get to vote on several Propositions. Some of them are good and the idea behind them sound good. Rebuild the roads, awesome, expand public transport, I'm very much for that, infastructure rebuilding. We need it. Do we need it at 40+Billion? I can't decide, I may take the following into account when voting next week:
"We currently have about $45 billion in GO bonds outstanding and
another $30 billion in unsold bonds. That costs the state just under
$4 billion annually to fund the debt service. There is a ratio which
should be looked at which suggests that debt service payments should
not exceed 6% of the General Fund. The current ratio is 4.8%. IF all
of these bonds were to be authorized we would add $42.7 billion in new
debt. In 2011 that would raise the ratio to 5.9%. Debt service on
this, making a lot of assumptions about what rates might be able to be
obtained - would increase by a bit under $3 billion annually. Those
payments are not available for other state purposes and endure whether
the state is in good or bad financial shape. Thus, I personally am
very cautious about trying to extend the debt load very much.

Consider this carefully when you vote on the bonds. I will vote for
some of them, but we are in dicey water."
Credit SB's uncle.
I'll finish with this, from Nightmare Before Chrismas, Jack has disappeared and the mayor is at his house to talk about the next Halloween, 364 days off, when it's discovered Jack is not home, the mayor screams:
Jack, please, I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I really dislike bonds, as a rule. And propositions, for that matter. As you quoted: "I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home