Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

26 March 2008

Global Warning

In the wake of today's revelation on the massive sheet of ice that detached it's self from Antarctica, I thought I'd weigh in with my opinion of Global Warming. It's happening. The world is getting warmer due to the emission of green house gasses by the human race (and to a lesser extent animals. Let's not forget the methane expelled by millions of stock animals. That we eat. Yummy lamb.) The water running off from glaciers is accelerating the melting of glaciers in two different ways, thus causing sea levels to rise at an even faster pace. The ice on Greenland could cause sea levels to rise by up to 10ft over the next few hundred years. Polar bears are losing habitat at an alarming rate. We've heard all the horrible news. And hot damn is it scary. I'm a wilderness lover, and the loss of the habitats to wild animals is also a loss to me as a place to visit. It will depress me the day that I backpack through the desert of the Sierra Nevada.
HOWEVER. Mother Nature will be the last to laugh. She has historically proved that she has no compunction about flushing everything and everybody. So does this mean we shouldn't worry about it and keep right on keeping on? Almost. By doing what we can to preserve our environment we essentially are buying time for....A miracle? Even cutting emission at this point, from what I've read, it's seems that the problem is pretty advanced, that we are more or less going to have to suffer the consequences of the actions of our ancestors and ourselves. Hopefully this lesson will be learned by future generations and they will continue to carry the torch of renewable resources, clean burning cars, responsible land stewardship, and environmental policies that, as the Great Law of the Iroquois states "In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.".

2 Comments:

  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Seppo said…

    while the earth has shown a remarkable resilience, one thing to keep in mind is that the earth recovering is not the same as the human populace recovering. The Earth will be perfectly indifferent, and continue on without us...

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No matter how much I read (or reiterate what I read on my blog) what I already know - every time I read something written about it, it makes me sick to my stomach!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home