Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

30 June 2004

So I am now in Ayvalik. Quant little seaside town. After buying a ticket to Izmir that would have left this morning, I then realized that I needed to be here a day prior to leave my passport with the shipping company in order to get to Lesvos (greece). I dashed back to the bus company and ended up getting a night bus to Izmir. Left at 11:30 and got in at 5:30 (reminded me of going to work that early), once there I grabbed the first bus to Ayvalik and two hours later was here. Hardly lucid, I found a hotel, and crashed for awhile. Ran about getting things sorted for my trip to Lesvos, then took a boat ride to Alibey Island. Not to much was there, so I headed back to Ayvalik. Wandering about I found a great restaurant on the bay (note-I think that my trip should be retitled 'restaurants of the world'. Seriously, the amount of food that I eat creates an actual restraint on how much time I can go without finding a place to eat. And I sure am loving the Turkish food.) In any case, back to this particular eatery. How could you beat the atmosphere? Right on the water. Lamb chops for about $5, the setting sun in the back ground. Really all I needed was someone to talk to. I have realized that I speak about 15-20times a day. And these are usually not full sentances. 'Ayvalik?' at the bus stop. People don't know 'do you have a ticket to.....?' At least as far as I can tell. Oh well. Another little notice, and this is mostly for you ma, someone will have to teach me how to use untincels when I get home. I grab the fork like a kid, and don't even hand me a knife. Don't seem to recall how to use one. I usually cut the food, put the fork back in my right hand, put my left hand below the table, then eat the food. Just like Nepal, the left hand doesn't come near the food. Old habits die hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home