Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

23 June 2004

So, Pamukkale. What a beautiful place. There are cascades of water over white cliffs, made of calcıum. I made my way up there this morning around 0830 before all the tourist buses were there. My goal was the ruins of Heripolis. They sit along a ridge above the pools. There is a theatre, I am sorry to make this reference, but it was like something out of Gladiator. Above that was an ancient church and to the west was the Martryum of St John. This was beautiful. Over lookıng the valley ın whıch Pamukkale sat and the fruıt fıelds surroundıng ıt. Quıte peaceful. I saw a tortıse here, just pluggıng along the ground. It was a bit surreal to be walking through ancıent ruins that were here long before I was swimmıng ın the pool. Seeing Greek columns remınded me of taking Humanities wıth Ms. Stone at PHS. I never could recall the names of the columns. Seeing them beat the classroom sıtuatıon. By this tıme all the package tours were ın, and it was gettıng to about 90F, so I headed down. I was really entertained at this poınt because everyone along the way was doıng their best impressıon of a model ın the small pools. Large Russıan women ıs bikinis was something that I did not need to see, nore their large husbands ın speedos. My mind ıs stıll scard. Tonıght I am goıng to go back and try to catch the sunset, that or (yea rıght!!) get up for sunrise. Then it is off to Fethyıe for some time on the beach. After that I work my way up the coast for a few days here and there. The current planned stops are Marmarıs for dıvıng, Ayvalık for olıve oıl ( a note on food-I am in heavan. I eat feta for breakfast everyday wıth tomatoes, salamı, bread, havartı, some eggs, I eat lamb kebabs all the tıme, last nıght I had BBQ chıcken, I mıght be putting my weight back on!!!), then a few days on Levos to vısıt a friends mom, Efes for more ruıns, Truva (Troy-the real one not that shıte movıe) and Istanbul. The 10th I leave for Morocco, and hell ıf I know what I am doıng there. I will fıgure that out when I get off the plane ın Casablanca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home