Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

14 July 2004

Strange experience yesterday. We'll get to that in a minute. I am in Munich currently hanging with the brother. Great to see him, he showed me around town for the past day and a half and is now in class. Munich is a great city. VERY clean. GREAT public transportantion system. You buy one ticket that costs 4.50euro and you can ride the bus, tram, subway all for one low, low price. OH, and it's all on the honour system (???). Crazy, that would never work in the states. Monday we met up, I told him that I was opposite the main railway station in town. Well, I was opposite where I got off the train. The main rail station is about 300m around. And the main entrance is 200m from where I was staying. Whoops. It took him a while, thanks to my poor directions, but he found me. We went to his place, saw a few sights, had a beer. Ate some food. Then yesterday we did something that I haven't done in five months. Actual laundry. Now mind you I have been washing my clothes, but by hand. This was an actual laundry machine. Little did I realize the effect that it would have on me. We load the clothes. Put in the soap. All very normal, very simple things. Close the door, it was a front loader. The water starts coming in. I open my book to read. Get through about 2 paragraphs. Look up at the laundry, and for some reason am inexplicably intralled in the washing of my clothes. I stare. The clothes go around. Those are getting clean? I think. I stare. They continue to move in a circular pattern. It dawns on me that Alex must realize that I have an unnatural obsession with the machine. I care not the least. I stare. The washing is complete. The rinsing begins. Water, spin, rinse. Three times. Wow. I am throughly amazed. The dry cycle begins. The clothes now spin quickly. I am stupafied. (hahaha!!! get it, stupa. fine. don't laugh). Faster, faster. I realize that this is entertaining me. I also realize how insanely dumb it is, I try to tear my eyes away. I get up, I walk outside, but cannot resist the temtations that the machine offers. The swirling colours win. It slows. Rocks a few times this way, a few that. Stops. A loud buzz. The show is over, the trance broken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home