Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

20 July 2004

This is for Aunt Vicki and LMK, I am currently in Tilburg which is in Southern Netherlands.  You might know it as "Holland", but that would be incorrect.  Holland is actually a "state"of the Netherleands, and NOT all of the coutry.  It's like saying America and meaning the States, but overly sensative people from Canada think that it means ALL of North America.  I have been staying with my friend Nathalie from Nepal and her Dad.  I am attempting to intergrate into the local culture, my Dutch name is Hans De Versee.  I am speaking Dutch with the fluency of someone who has been learning for three days.  I know how to say "Hello"(hallo), "Yes"(ye), No (Nay), sex in the kitchen (nurker en da kurker), Please (aush da bleef), Thank you (aush da bleef), spare ribs (spare ribs), and Thank you (dank u vell).  I am still learning the intracicys of the funky sounds they make when they talk.  Sometimes it sounds like they are chocking on a duck.  It's really funny to listen to.  Today Nat and I went to the Eftiling.  I heard about this place the entire time that I was in Nepal, so I was really excited to go.  It's a bit like Disneyland, but more fun.  We rode every ride, it was raining, so the lines were short.  :D  Yesterday was "Pink Monday" in Tilberg.  Every year they have a fair, for lack of a better term, I will county fair, but's it's just rides and games.  No farm animals.  Pretty fun, BUT "Pink Monday" is a bit like the day for all the (thanks to Margert Cho) "Gay" to come out.  And, WOW, this in the Netherlands, so they sure do.  300,000 people.  I think that it might rival the Gay Pride Parade in the city.  A classic "sit in the cafe and drink a coffee for three hours day".  Just watching the people pass, and the outfits, or lack thereof.  Good stuff. 
Tomorrow I am off to Strausborg to see Nico, apparently not meeting up with Alex.  I THINK that we are headed to Paris, which will be cool, I might catch the finish of the Tour De France.  That would be heaps of fun.  And that I believe brings us up to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home