Going to Nepal

Joe's wild, zany adventures to Nepal and at home.

11 December 2006

.......damn it..........

I'm not a big coffee drinker. I like espresso. They are not the same thing. I'm a bit particular about where I get my espresso. And Starbucks is NOT one of those places. I don't like their inundation of the coffee market place. A friend who used to work in Seattle said there were THREE of them IN her building. Three. In one building. There's one two blocks away and I feel weird (it's right next to a Noah's bagels, where you used to be able to get good bagels.). Apparently you can goto a Starbucks in France and they taste the same. Why would anyone in Europe goto a Starbucks? WTF? Suffice to say, it falls under the catagory of chain shopping which I do my best to avoid. About a month ago a coworker brought me a coffee drink for there. It was an iced mocha something or other. I don't know what it was, but it was tasty. I had a hard time denying this. Since then I have caught myself saying that I don't like Starbucks on more than one occasion. Do I or don't I? If I consume from a place does that mean I like it? Or can I disagree with it's existance and still consume from it? That seems a bit hypocritical. The delima persists. And how far do I feel the anti-chain shopping must go? I like the Philly Cheese Steak Shop on Lake Shore and there are several of them. They actually have franchises. Are they a chain? I like to think not, but they have more than a few. It is a conundrum. In the mean time I'll drink to that with my frozen mocha thingy. No need to rush to a conclusion on this one.
In other news, I'm off to bed. I have to be at work at 4 tomorrow. Have I mentioned that? Yes. That's right 4. AM. I'll be up while my friend's in Hawaii are still awake and before my friend's on the East Coast are still sleeping. Oh, except E&J B. They'll be up with their monstrous child. And I'm still not an uncle. K&K are still baking. Their child will be HUGENORMOUS.

Current playing: 50Cent vs. The Bee Gees
Started watching tonight: Arsenal vs. Chelsea

3 Comments:

  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger eingy said…

    The nespresso pods are surprisingly decent. I know I sound low-brow saying that. :D For all I know, you've tried them and hated them.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm not sure there's much of a problem, there. I applaud the new healthy choices at McDonald's, but still think every single one of their stores should evaporate off the face of the planet.

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Coffee in France comes in a thimble. At least Starbuck's comes in cup big enough to fit in your hand (not that any tourist should go; finishing your coffee in one sip and sitting around awkwardly while everyone chats in French far rapidly than you can follow it is part of the French experience).

    Also, it's incredibly hard to find any public restrooms in all of France, though men can utilize the back alley or roadside ditch with less scrutiny than stateside. If you're going to sell half-liter cups of coffee, you might need to have America's permissive attitude toward store restrooms as well.

    Not that I'd know. Because I didn't go in.

    L.L.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home